Partner: David L. Kerby, Board Certified in Personal Injury by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
David was born in San Angelo, Texas, and spent his childhood there with the exception of several years of early high school in Capitan, New Mexico. After graduating with an undergraduate degree from Texas Tech University in Animal Science, he graduated from Texas Christian University’s Ranch Management Program and then studied law at Texas Tech School of Law. He graduated from law school his Doctorate of Jurisprudence in 2003. While in law school, he served on the Texas Tech School of Law Board of Barristers and clerked for George Thompson Law Offices.
During college, David was a professional farrier and a licensed race horse trainer. David tried his first jury trial as a third year law student with a bar card. Since that time, he has tried dozens of cases to a verdict as lead counsel. David’s clients have ranged from individuals to publicly traded corporations. He has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in civil lawsuits in state and federal court. His litigation practice has ranged from wrongful death, personal injury, land disputes, oil & gas litigation, dram shop, medical and professional liability, commercial disputes and civil rights litigation.
David became Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 2009. Only ten percent or less of attorneys in Texas are board certified. David is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell and, as such, has been ranked at the highest level of ethical and professional ability by his peers. He is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and served as the Lubbock Chapter President for 2017. David further served two terms on the District 16 Grievance Committee for the State Bar of Texas.
In addition to his litigation practice, David regularly serves as a mediator across West Texas where his experience in representing both plaintiffs and defendants allows him invaluable insight in assisting parties in resolving their disputes.
David is licensed to practice in all state courts in Texas and New Mexico. He is also admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern and Western Districts of Texas. David lives near Lubbock with his wife, their two sons and three dogs.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Trial Law
- Personal Injury
- Sexual Abuse / Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
- Mineral Disputes
- Drunk Driving Accidents
Certified Legal Specialties
- Personal Injury, Texas Board of Legal Specialization – 2009
- Texas – 2003
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas – 2008
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas – 2011
- New Mexico – 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit – 2017
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. – May 2003
- Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
- R.M. – May 1999
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- B.S. – December 1997
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2016 – 2018
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Lubbock County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- District 16 Grievance Committee for the State Bar of Texas, previous member
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation in 2018—an honor bestowed on 1/3 of 1% of licensed attorneys in Texas